Laundry, Laundry, we love Laundry! Laundry will never go away and will always be one tough task to catch up on. But don’t let Laundry get you down! Here are 15 Helpful Laundry Tips to try in your Home to maximize efficiency, increase energy savings, and lessen the load in your laundry basket.
1. As your laundry accumulates, pre-sort it into designated baskets for lights, darks and whites. This way, a load will be ready to throw in the washer whenever you have a minute to spare.
2. Pretreat stains: Tackle any stains before loading the washer. Presoak clothes from the “very dirty” basket for a half hour in the washer, a large bucket, or a sink.
3. While sorting, don’t forget to close zippers, clasp hooks and check pockets to prevent snags and avoid washing tissues, money, lipstick, etc.
4. Always be sure to check the pockets of all garments before washing and drying. The stains and damage which can result from one hidden lipstick, lip balm, stick of gum or crayon goes beyond words!5. Don’t overload the washer or dryer. Clothes come out cleaner and less wrinkled when given room to move freely.
6. Wash small loads as needed between laundry days. Today’s high-efficiency washing machines use substantially less water and energy than a conventional top-loading washer. Which means you can do small loads when you have time, rather than waiting for the basket to fill up.
7. Washing laundry with warm or hot water requires a huge amount of energy, costing extra money and releasing global warming-causing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Cool off and wash in cold water to save money and reduce harmful emissions.
8. To minimize wrinkling when washing fabrics containing man-made fibers, wash in hot/warm water using a permanent-press cycle. If your machine does not have a permanent-press cycle, use warm/cool water.
9. When drying, separate your clothes and dry similar types of clothes together. Lightweight synthetics, for example, dry much more quickly than bath towels and natural fiber clothes.
10. Lightly shake out items taken from the washer, before placing them in the dryer. Tightly balled up fabric dries slower and will likely come out wrinkled.
11. Dry two or more loads in a row, taking advantage of the heat still in the dryer from the first load.
12. Use the moisture sensor on your dryer to avoid over-drying clothing. If your unit doesn’t have the feature that shuts the machine off when the load is dry, use a timer to ensure the unit isn’t running longer than necessary.
13. Clean the dryer filter after each use. A clogged filter will restrict flow and reduce dryer performance.
14. Streamline the laundry process by incorporating storage solutions and flat working surfaces into your laundry room. This will keep laundry where it belongs and eliminate the need to treat, sort and fold in other rooms of the house.
15. When ever possible, hang and air dry your clothes. You’ll save energy by not using your dryer, plus fill your house with the fresh smell of newly cleaned laundry.
Fun Bonus Tip: While unloading the dryer, wrap your kids up in warm sheets, blankets, and towels. They’ll love the warm feeling from their favorite blanket fresh from the dryer!
Do you have any Helpful Laundry Tips that work for you? Share them here in a comment below, or mention them on our Facebook page: http://facebook.com/PlassAppliance